Sunday, April 11, 2010

Godly Sperminators!!


Yes ma'am! I thought I'd get your attention with that title.

About a week or so ago, I finished reading the book Quiverfull: Inside the Christian Patriarchy Movement by Kathryn Joyce. I have SO MUCH TO SAY about this book. I'm even working on composing a letter of sorts written to my female students about this book. {Yes, I realize said female students are 2, 3, and 4 years old and will probably never read my blog, but it's what's on my heart regarding this topic. I don't ever want my precious girls to grow up believing that they are subordinate or limited in the ways they may be called by God based on their gender, class, or race}.

BUT..until I complete that post, I want to share a quote {with my insertions} that is presented in this book. The voice quoted is that of Nancy Campbell, "editress" of the Above Rubies magazine, proponent of the Quiverfull movement and the idea of liberation through submission, and worshiper of all things Titus 2 and Proverbs 31. The chapter from which this quote is taken talks about the importance of the godly reproducing so as to fill and conquer the world {to practice what I've dubbed "Godly Spermination"}; the womb of a woman is, in this sense, her weapon in this "battle." Being a wife and mother and remaining in her "proper sphere" at home is really, they would say, the only way God would have them fight this battle. Oh, and also through baking cinnamon buns, in following with Edith Shaeffer's example, wife and helpmeet of the renowned fundamentalist pastor Francis Shaeffer.

Coupled with a negative take on the international news, the sense of a coming clash between civilizations demographically lends itself to comparing family sizes between family sizes in the U.S. with those from abroad.

"When godly people stop having children, we are wasting the godly seed. {As if there's something inherently godly about some people's seed over others} So today, we are facing a very, very serious threat: the threat of Islam. They are outnumbering us seven to one. {Who exactly is "us"? Conservative, neo-Calvinist fundamentalist Christians? Are they the only ones who are worthy being considered "God's Chosen"? For that matter, who is them? Us/them mentality= yucky}. And there's eight billion Islamics here in America. {ISLAMICS? Don't you mean Muslims? Those who practice Islam...}.
...When I talk to parents today and ask how many grandchildren they have, they tell me, 'Oh, we have two! Isn't it wonderful?' 'Two?' Is that going to impact the world? Two? {Well, I'm glad you consider yourself qualified to determine who will and won't impact the world. I recall several "ONES" who have spurred great positive change and impacted the world greatly} When you get someone like say, Osama bin Laden, he's just representative of so many Islamics, well, you see how they're populating." {Seriously, I don't know whether to laugh or to cry when you say "Islamics." Further, Osama bin Laden should not be the poster child for Muslims; I sure wouldn't want the extremists of my religion *cough cough* representing me!}


~Nancy Campbell, with my {annoying} interjections

Whheewww. I get heated. :)
More to come.

{Beat.}

Happy sperminating.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to more thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to muse aloud with me,
to share your heart
& allow your thoughts to become words.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Leah